Sunday 17 January 2016

My Hijab

 Asalaam aleikum ladies, i say ladies because like the tagline says under my blog name 'its a female thing'. what is this post about you ask, well today i wanted to talk about what hijab means to me from the little islamic knowledge i have and the research that i have done today. (ps: i am not an expert on the hijab nor am i talking of anyone, just sharing my own views and personal experiences).

So a friend of mine asked me today, what do you hope to achieve with your blog,in terms of goals and all. my answer just poured out of me, like it was not even hard to say. I told that person, "If even only one girl/lady who finds the hijab and the modest way of dressing to be ugly or to make her seem ugly,looked at my blog and saw beauty in the modest way of dressing or the hijab for that matter then my work is done". confident in my reply and all, i started asking myself, but am i representing the modest way of dressing to start with?, my answer was "i dont know,maybe". so i thought i should truly find out what the quran says about women's dress code so i know if am doing the right thing. after a little research, i found that two surahs had talked about the female dress code in the quran. These surahs are An-Nur verse 31 and surah Al-Ahzab verse 59. the two surahs which i have posted below in their english translation talk of;

  1. Lowering your gaze
  2. Guard your private parts
  3. Not to display your charms beyond what is acceptable (acceptable- meaning e.g if you're tall and people look at you because of your height,you cant help that because its how Allah created you)
  4. They should let their headscarves fall to cover their necklines.
  5. Bring down over themsleves their outer garments.
There are alot of commentaries on what these ayahs mean, what i have gained from listening to different people( i dont know if i should call them scholars) is that, your garment should

  1. Cover you fully (down over themselves). Now this does not specify if its one piece of clothing or seperate but key point is fully covered.
  2. Not be tight, because you're told that you should not show your charms, meaning your body or your bossoms or anything that shows the shape of your body that would tempt a male. Basically avoid bringing intentional attention to yourself.
so anyway maybe to some of you this is'nt news but i just thought i should put it out there. My whole point is'nt even to dictate what the laws of the quran already say but to tell you that i feel like i can do better in my hijab, in my cover. am wearing a couple of tight things,my hijab perhaps doesn't fully cover my bossoms even, in some of the pictures and that's not the way i want to represent my religion you know. it really is more of a message to me than you girls. forgive me if i led you to think that this is okay or this represented hijab, yes i need corrections here and there,but i will say i am also not wrong in how i dress because i am a God-fearing muslimah. Dont be afraid to accept your mistakes and my Allah make guide us all.
ps:DONT JUDGE PEOPLE, WE ALL HAVE OUR STRUGGLES.

Q 24:30-31

“[Prophet], tell believing men to lower their glances and guard their private parts: that is purer for them. God is well aware of everything they do. And tell believing women that they should lower their glances, guard their private parts, and not display their charms beyond what [it is acceptable] to reveal; they should let their headscarves fall to cover their necklines and not reveal their charms except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands’ fathers, their sons, their husbands’ sons, their brothers, their brothers’ sons, their sisters’ sons, their womenfolk, their slaves, such men as attend them who have no sexual desire, or children who are not yet aware of women’s nakedness; they should not stamp their feet so as to draw attention to any hidden charms. Believers, all of you, turn to God so that you may prosper.”

Surah Ahzab 33:59 O Prophet, tell your wives and your daughters and the women of the believers to bring down over themselves [part] of their outer garments. That is more suitable that they will be known and not be abused. And ever is Allah Forgiving and Merciful.


 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTK-TcsxY4k
Above is a youtube link of a video i watched and the ayahs i quoted.
Leave a comment below if you think this was helpful and look out for my upcoming post, its going to be interesting.

3 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it....thanks love for the amazing teaching

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mashallah mashallah...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete