Monday 12 December 2016

Wining Women:Lamic Kirabo



Asalaam aleikum loves, as promised, here is my first interview for the winning women segment. Blogger and visual documenter Lamic Kirabo.
She is a Fashion and lifestyle blogger and creative content creator based in Uganda. She has worked with several brands and might i say done so very gracefully. Her minimal style is nothing short of edgy mixed with the right amount of chicness.She was just recently nominated for the ASFA awards. She has also won the Uganda Press Photo Awards. I am so inspired by this young lady and i can not wait to see what more she has to contribute to the creative world.



Tell us a little about yourself, who is Lamic Kirabo?
I’d say I’m a Ugandan artist, who has a huge interest in visual and written documentation in the areas of fashion. I’m also pursuing a degree in fashion and retail marketing, and I run a blog called Third Local.
Your blog is called Third Local, how did you come up with that name?
Third Local comes from me wanting to create a positive affiliation to the word ‘local’ in my country and the continent. Local brands and creative’s from Africa are often seen as substandard, unprofessional, not just by outsiders but even us as Africans, I want to be part of the change in that.
When did you start your blog and what inspired you to get into blogging?
I started by blog last year at the end of November, I honestly created it because I wanted to read it. I wanted to stumble on a blog that promoted the things I loved, that showed off the immense beauty and talent I saw, somewhat of a “If there is a book you want to read then write it” kind of thing, lol.
You’ve done many brand collaborations, tell us, how does a blogger go about it if they want to work with brands?
Brand collaborations are a tough one to crack because this is such a new thing this freelance/blogger advertising thing, I think I was lucky to find brands who believed in what I was doing at the beginning and were willing to trust me to create content for them. But at the end of the day at the beginning you will probably have to work for free, to build relationships, and create value for your particular platform, but my advice would be offer out your services, do the best job you possible can even if its pro-bono, value those relationships you build with brands and one thing will lead to another.
What else do you do aside from blogging? 
Aside from blogging, officially I’m an artist (watercolour illustrator),  and I’m a student and then there is the range of side jobs I think every creative ends up having...modelling, creative direction, photography, creative consulting, styling, writing...yadah yadah yadah
How would you describe your personal style?
Edgy, Minimal, Afro-futuristic?
Who inspires you in the fashion world, and in life generally?
In the fashion world I’m inspired by Margaret Zhang, Asiyami Gold, Grace Coddington, Olivier Routeing...ah that list is long. In life...I’m inspired by a myriad of people in various ways...
How has blogging changed your life?
Lol, I think I’m pretty the same person sans blogging, but I would say this year of blogging has given me a different or developed my perspective of life just by encountering incredible people and incredible experiences. I realized no-one really has their shit together, were all in this, working long nights, for things we sometimes aren’t sure we believe in, and that’s okay, the magic is in the trying, it’s in the faith.
You’re also a photographer, you were awarded the Uganda Press Photo Awards, is photography something you pursue as a career?
I hope it is, I hope life allows me to develop that skill to call myself an active photographer one day.
What are some of the challenges you have faced as a visual documenter, both in blogging and photography?
Not having the skill sets or resources to create what I envision. It’s often incredibly frustrating when you and your team are not yet there, when you want more but just can’t see how to make it happen with what you have, at the same time that creates an immense opportunity for the mad creativity I’ve seen around.
What is your life mantra, if you had one quote to live by, which one would it be?
The entire book The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho...if anyone hasn’t read it, they should...it’s just a few pages long, but it’s an awakening each time I read it.

Finally, what advice do you have for girls who look up to you and your work?
  1. 1.       There is not just one version of success, and not just one path leading to it, what is your version of happiness, what is your version of a life fulfilled, discover what that is, and actively and unapologetically pursue it everyday.

2.       2. Creativity and inspiration are birthed from practice, don’t wait around for inspiration...it won’t come looking for you I promise, the more you do, the better you become, work at it, give out your best stuff, do d do...oh and read Nike motivational quotes every day. 


No comments :

Post a Comment